Thursday 15 October 2015

Will you swim with me? : An introduction to my blog


Water. Africa. Agriculture.

These three words can mean so much, to so many, in astonishingly different ways.

Although Africa only occupies 23% of global land area (FAO 2003), the study of water in Africa is not only vast but compelling too! As tempting as it is to dive into the depths of studying Africa’s water (or the lack of!), I will be swimming about the agricultural aspect of this issue.

This blog will look at the information and academia that surrounds agriculture’s use of water in Africa. I will be giving you my take on these three simple but intriguing and packed words, presenting you with facts, findings and my opinions!

Agriculture can mean many things. From crops to livestock, it is not only a necessity to subsistence farmers, but also a business opportunity for some. I aim to address social, economic and even scientific facts and debates surrounding this topic, whilst also addressing solutions to predicted problems in the foreseeable future.

The next post will touch upon the detailed background of Africa’s water situation and what affects it. I will then attempt to dive into the depths of water in Africa, specifically focusing on the agricultural uses and issues.

I invite you to swim this journey with me.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, very punny post!
    It will be especially interesting to see how you address livestock with regards to water and the conclusions you make!

    ReplyDelete